The characteristics of the South are diverse. Four main categories can be identified and each can be associated with diverse approach mechanisms:
- The least developed countries (SSA), where efforts should be concentrated on supporting graduate training and research by promoting better coordination with the other French, European and Southern players;
- The middle-income countries (Mediterranean and Southeast Asia), with which the approach mechanism is adjusted to the level of their development and the quality of their scientific institutions;
- The emerging countries (BRICS) , which will be partners with the least developed countries for the joint development and co-financing, programs on a regional scale;
- The overseas regions (ROM-COM) , where special attention is required for issues specific to the regions where the overseas regions and communities (ROM-COM) are located.
The geostrategy of the IRD is based on a site policy, one translation of which is the organisation of representations of the Institute - and its approaches in general - from six separate regional groupings:
- West and Central Africa ;
- East and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean;
- Mediterranean ;
- Asia ;
- Pacific ;
- Latin America and the Caribbean.
In all these regions, the IRD foments South-South partnerships, particularly between emerging and less developed countries.
Significant efforts to mobilise resources for the benefit of Africa and the Mediterranean will continue.
This African and Mediterranean priority concerns particularly sensitive topics:
- Water resources,
- the hazards and natural risks,
- terrestrial and coastal eco-systems,
- production and food safety
- emerging diseases
- living conditions and population mobility
The IRD also undertakes to maintain its involvement in the overseas regions (ROM-COM) by promoting cross-border and regional actions. In overseas, the Institute will strengthen its participation in the development of research infrastructure and continue the pooling of facilities and platforms with the universities.