Ocean and climate, exchanges for life
The climate plays a decisive role in the lives of humanity, resources, human development and health. The ocean has an essential part in the complex mechanisms that govern climate. By storing heat received from the sun and subsequently moving it from the tropics towards the temperate regions, the ocean interacts with the atmosphere and thus helps to make our planet inhabitable. The onset of global warming makes the study of the relationships between the ocean and the climate more than ever a vital challenge for science.
This exhibition aims to inform the public – and especially young people – about the huge role the ocean plays in the Earth’s climate and the climatic changes now taking place. The ocean plays a crucial role, yet this is still not well-known to the general public.
The exhibition has earned the International Year of Planet Earth 2008 seal of approval designated by the French Academy of Sciences.
It has been devised and produced by the IRD with the support of the Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs.
From upper secondary school grade Diffusion in France and abroad
Download the panels in PDF :
- Panel 1, Blue Planet .pdf, 808 ko
- Panel 2, The water cycle .pdf, 739 ko
- Panel 3, Observing the oceans .pdf, 439 ko
- Panel 4, In the heat of the tropical oceans! .pdf, 336 ko
- Photo 1, Launching of a Pirata buoy during an oceanographic survey .pdf, 249 ko
- Panel 5, El Niño : a turbulent event ! .pdf, 753ko
- Panel 6, El Niño’s contradictions .pdf, 290 ko
- Panel 7, The monsoon’s capricious character .pdf, 284 ko
- Photo 2, Core drill .pdf, 192 ko
- Panel 8, In search of past climates .pdf, 191 ko
- Panel 9, Heat wave on planet earth .pdf, 754 ko
- Panel 10, The climate makes waves .pdf, 239 ko
- Panel 11, The ocean and climate of the future .pdf, 1.07 Mo
- Photo 3, The New Caledonian lagoon and its coral reef barrier .pdf, 202 ko
- Panel 12, Photo credits .pdf, 265 ko
For all informations :
Benjamin Poupin tel : 33(0)4 91 99 94 72
- 16 banner display 80 x 200 cm
- Eyelets on upper and lower edges and stabilizing bars
- Minimum space: 30 linear metres
- Hanging system: on grille
- frameworks or on walls (with nails), exclusive of any other system.
- Interior or exterior
- 1 case – weight: 30 kg
- Dimensions: 85 x 30 x 30 cm
English, Spanish, French (Accompanying texts in Arabic)