IRD is a public French scientific and technological institution that has been working for 75 years in Southern countries. It is under the dual supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. Its research, expertise, valorization and training activities aim at contributing to the economic, social and cultural development of the South. Nearly 40% of the Institute's staff is posted abroad and overseas. IRD in Vietnam represents about twenty researchers (annual average) posted in various institutions, five permanent local staff, forty local temporary staff. The partnership instruments managed by the representative office of IRD include an International Mixed Unit (UMI 209 UMMISCO), four International Mixed Laboratories (LOTUS, DRISA, LE_CARE and LUSES) and four Junior Teams associated to IRD (PLASTIC, WARM, RecycUrbs Hanoi, EID). The position is located at the IRD Representative office in Vietnam, Apartment 103, Building 2G, Van Phuc Diplomatic Compound, 298 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh, Hanoi.
The SCO will contribute to a better integration and greater efficiency, particularly in the search for co-financing, of IRD within the Vietnamese higher education and research landscape. He/she will ensure an active watch on calls for tenders or opportunities offered by Vietnamese ministries, academies, provinces and universities, in relation to the research offer proposed by the IRD's research units. He/she will supervise and animate the cooperation with Vietnamese partners in both directions, on one hand to better perceive the partnership demand, but also to better publicize the potential of the institute in sustainability science. He/she will accompany the research teams in the setting up, drafting, negotiation and implementation of agreements with Vietnamese or international partners. Finally, he/she will be responsible for drafting summary notes by major scientific and/or development fields in order to encourage the research units and scientific departments to invest in partnership research in Vietnam.
The SCO works in close connection with the representative of IRD and takes the lead on activities related to establishing stronger ties with Vietnamese partners on fields related to sustainability science:
- Notes: to write regular information notes on the possibilities of collaboration/co-financing during calls for tenders from Vietnamese or international institutions; provide the website and the Facebook site with specific scientific fact sheets.
- Partnership: to set up, organize and lead (for instance through a newsletter) the cooperation with Vietnamese partners; to help define partnership and valorization strategies; to assist researchers in the negotiation of partnerships (framework agreement, joint laboratory, etc.); to help in identifying potential partners, organizing seminars and meetings with them;
- Visits: facilitate initial contacts between researchers and partners; participate in key visits or meetings with Vietnamese partners; make regular visits to partners outside Hanoi (HCMC, Can Tho, Da Nang...) with or without the representative;
- Projects : alerting the representative and researchers at important events or calls for tenders; writing letters of intent for the joint submission of projects to government departments and agencies; participating in the design and drafting of projects designed by the IRD representation; researching, writing and organizing these proposals in a logical manner ; ensure that proposal development is on schedule; ensure the quality of submissions by following proposal writing standards; meet deadlines by setting priorities and target dates for collecting, writing, reviewing and approving information; coordinate requirements with contributors; assist in identifying possible funding from other donors.
The position is located in Hanoi, in the premises of the IRD office. The work will be done in close coordination with the representative of IRD in Vietnam. The position may imply travels in Vietnam to meet researchers and partners. Indicative remuneration Depending on the candidate's profile, experience and requests, an individualized proposal will be made after the interview.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills: ability to write persuasively and articulately is essential.
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Advanced skills in MS Office Products (Word, PPT, Excel) to support documents preparation
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and to quickly adapt to multiple priorities.
- High attention-to-detail and organized
- Independence and rigor
- Proven ability to work in a multilingual and multicultural environment
- Spoken and written languages: A fluent English is mandatory. French and / or Vietnamese would be a plus.
- Good knowledge of the structure of Vietnamese research institutions would be a plus
- Good knowledge of the objectives and projects of IRD in Vietnam would be a plus
- Experience in fundraising would be an asset
Degree and experience
- At least a bachelor’s degree with some experience in international cooperation; master’s or Ph.D. is preferred
- Minimum of one year of training or experience in research projects proposal writing
- Track record of writing or managing successful projects in a field relevant to sustainability science
- Experience in managing multidisciplinary international projects would be a plus
Send your application (CV and detailed cover letter) before the 30th of August 2020 to email@example.com. Please indicate the reference: IRD_SCO_2020_1