IRD is organizing, on Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 10:00 am (GMT+1), the hybrid press conference "Coping with climate change and biodiversity erosion: Solutions are also in the Global South" and invites you to follow it in our social media platforms : Facebook and Youtube.
After an unprecedented hot summer in France and Europe, and as a prelude to COP27 and COP15, IRD scientists and their partners from Burkina Faso and Senegal present concrete solutions rooted in science to address climate emergency and biodiversity erosion.
This press conference is an opportunity to reverse the North-South paradigm and to recall the critical need for solutions-based science built through an equitable model of partnership with Southern countries. This research encourages reflections on development and sustainability science for enhanced resilience.
9am - 10am : Welcome coffee
10:00 - 10:05 : Opening by Valérie Verdier, CEO at the French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
10:05 - 10:10 : How do we find solutions with our partners in the South?
- Philippe Charvis, Deputy Director of Science at IRD
- Thomas Melonio, Executive Director of Innovation, Strategy and Research at AFD (Agence française de développement)
10:10 - 10:40 : Presentations by IRD scientists and their partners
- Yvonne Bonzi, chemist, teacher-researcher and professor at the Joseph Ki-Zerbo University (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso), member of the National Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters of Burkina Faso (ANSAL-BF)
- Sébastien Barot, IRD research director, scientific advisor "biodiversity" of the IRD, member of the Academy of Agriculture, Vice-President of the French Society of Ecology and Evolution (SFE)
- Benjamin Sultan, climatologist, scientific advisor "climate change" of the IRD, author-contributor of the 6th IPCC report
- Ousmane Ndiaye, Director of Exploitation de la Météorologie à l’Agence nationale de l'Aviation civile et de la Météorologie of Senegal (ANACIM) and author-contributor of the 6th IPCC report
- Flore Gubert, IRD research director, economist, director of research at IRD and vice-president of the board of the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l'Homme (FMSH)
10:40 - 11:00 a.m.: Q&A session
From 11am: meet&greet with Valérie Verdier and Philippe Charvis