The Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry (SSWSP) is a Franco-Indian cooperation project whose objective is to develop a pluriannual supply of intensive and multidisciplinary training in theories, methods and tools of social science research.
At the origin of this project, there is a shared observation - that of a lack of rigorous training in theories, methods and tools of research in the human and social sciences in India - and a local demand formulated during 2013 by scholars from the School of Social Sciences and International Studies of Pondicherry University (PU).
In order to compensate for this deficit, an ambitious project for a multi-year intensive training programme was designed in partnership with PU to address students (Master 2 or PhD level), young teacher-researchers and professionals (engineers, administrators, consultants) from various disciplines and based in India.
With the support of IRD, IFP (Institut Français de Pondichéry) and CEIAS (UMR Centre d'Etudes de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud, CNRS/EHESS), this winter school was held for the first time in 2014 on the Campus of Pondicherry University (PU), the main Indian partner in the creation and implementation of this project between 2014 and 2018. The 2019 edition sees the emergence of a new partnership with MIDS (Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai) which will be co-porter of the project with IRD and IFP.
- to create an efficient and unique tool for research training in India;
- to promote the transfer of skills and know-how between India and France in the field of social sciences, with an interdisciplinary focus;
- to strengthen the visibility of Franco-Indian cooperation;
- to consolidate a community of young researchers, scientific executives and local experts in South Asia.
- Institut Français de Pondichery - Dr. Senthil Babu, Raphaël Voix and Nicolas Bautes
- Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS) - Pr M Vijayabaskar
- IRD - Dr Anne Casile (UMR PALOC) and Dr Christophe-Jalil Nordman (UMR DIAL)