As a European tropical island territory, La Réunion has geostrategic assets for the Southern African, East African and Indian Ocean region, creating a favorable environment for growing research, development and innovation activities.
The IRD office in La Réunion opened in 1987 to implement the first marine environment monitoring program linked to the growth of tuna fishing in the Indian Ocean. The teams have now grown to organize and implement various research programmes connected with the territory’s issues.
A scientific reference on major development issues
The French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development is a multidisciplinary organization of international renown. It is placed under the dual responsibility of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation and the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.
It carries an original approach to research, expertise, training and knowledge sharing for the benefit of territories and countries that make science and innovation one of the first tools for their development.
Areas of responsibility
Staff number and location
The permanent and contractual staff members are around fifty per year on average with a distribution of approximately 1/3 researchers and 2/3 technical engineers in 2019. They are hosted in 5 main organizations in partnership with the University of La Réunion and the local research stakeholders’ premises (CIRAD, CYROI, …):
- At the university technology park in Saint-Denis
- At the Moufia Campus of the University of La Réunion, in Saint-Denis
- At the Cyclotron of La Réunion and the Indian Ocean (CYROI), in Saint-Denis
- At the French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (Cirad), in Saint-Pierre
Pascale Chabanet, Representative
Support to research team
Benoît Soyer, Administrator (and interim representative)
Finance and missions service
- Françoise Hale, Accountant and finance manager
- Florence Ousenie, Finance and mission management
Partnerships and research contracts service
- Prisca Sinivassin, Project management assistant
- Minahisoa Rakotonomenjanahary, Project management assistant