The European Union H2020 Programme is coming to an end with not less than €80 billion dedicated to research and innovation over the last 7 years. The new framework programme, Horizon Europe, will follow from 2021 to 2027.
Southern Africa took part in 164 projects funded by H2020. In this region, South Africa accounts for 156 of them, Madagascar and Botswana participating in 5 and 4 projects respectively. South Africa is the first African partner country in the programme.
The H2020 figures show the relative strength of the CNRS partnerships in Southern Africa, and especially with South African instititions. The country is the fourth partner of the CNRS outside the EU, behind the United States, Russia and Canada. 14 of the 156 projects involving South Africa are conducted with CNRS scientists.
Which institutions is the CNRS collaborating with? The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research comes first, with 5 projects, followed by the University of Cape Town and the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
The CNRS engagement in H2020 in Africa focused on climate change and resources on the one hand and infrastructures on the other hand. Overall, African countries participated in 474 H2020 projects, 34 of them involving the CNRS on the continent.
Learn more about the projects involving CNRS researchers in Southern Africa
- AENEAS - Advanced European Network of E-infrastructures
- JUMPING JIVE - Joining up Users for Maximising the Profile, the Innovation and the Necessary Globalisation of JIVE (2017-2020)
- Gov4Nano - Implementation of Risk Governance: meeting the needs of nanotechnology
- SMA-TB - A novel Stratified Medicine Algorithm to predict treatment responses to host-directed therapy in TB patients
- TBVAC2020 - Advancing novel and promising TB vaccine candidates from discovery to preclinical and early clinical development
- VIROGENESIS - Virus discovery and epidemic tracing from high throughput metagenomic sequencing (2015-2018)
- AtlantECO - Atlantic ECOsystems assessment, forecasting & sustainability
- ATLANTOS - Optimizing and Enhancing the Integrated Atlantic Ocean Observing System (2015-2019)
- iAtlantic - Integrated Assessment of Atlantic Marine Ecosystems in Space and Time (2019-2022)
- BIOMORE - New Mining Concept for Extracting Metals from Deep Ore Deposits using Biotechnology (2015-2018)
- COP21 RIPPLES - COP21: Results and Implications for Pathways and Policies for Low Emissions European Societies
- ECOPOTENTIAL - Improving future ecosystem benefits through earth observations
- RRING - Responsible Research and Innovation Networked Globally (2018-2021)
- GENDER STI - Gender Equality in Science, Technology and Innovation Bilateral and Multilateral Dialogues
- EPN-2024-RI - Europlanet 2024 Research Infrastructure (2015-2019)
- ARISE-2 - Atmospheric dynamics Research InfraStructure in Europe (2015-2018)